JPEG is a popular technique used for lossy compression of images mostly produced by photography. The range of compression can be adjusted in order to accommodate a select table choice between quality of the image and the size of storage.
JPEG is able to achieve 10.1 compression with very little change in image quality. It was introduced as far back as 1992 and since then, it has been the most vastly utilized technique for compression of images. It is a common standard for image compression and is also used in digital image format.
The term JPEG is an acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group and was based on that the discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) which was a lossy technique as well but introduced in 1972.
Properties of JPEG
- JPEG’s MIME media type is known as image/jpeg. There is actually an exception to this and it is found in the older models of Internet explorer. In these models the MIME media type is image/pjpeg.
- Files generally have a name extension of .jpg or . jpeg. Other file extension makes exist such as .jif, .jfif, .jfi, and .jpe.
Diversity of JPEG
- It is the most popular format utilized by digital cameras as well as other devices capable of photographic abilities.
- It is the most popular method used for both transmitting and storing messages on the World Wide Web.
Usage of JPEG
- The compression algorithm of JPEG files is best suited for photographic purposes as well as portraits. This is because the file’s compression allows for a regular variation of color and tone.
- JPEG files are not compatible with files that have to be edited multiple times because with each compression of the file, a part of the image quality is lost. This is also the same for files that are cropped or files with an alteration in their encoding parameters.
- JPEG files are commonly used for web. There are times when compression of files on web page is very important for faster loading time and better presentation. JPEG files are used then.
- It cannot be used for line drawings as well as other iconic or textual graphics whereby there is a distinct contrast between adjacent pixels which can cause perceivable artifacts.
- Since JPEG files are mostly for the compression of files, it is not suited for the reproducing of files. This is because a fraction of quality will be lost and the reproduced image will not hold the same quality as the initial.
JPEG files are very popular and widely used in the photographic world. It’s ability to compress files with little noticeable change in the quality gives it and edge to be used for various purposes especially for instances whereby low storage capacity is desired with high quality still maintained.
PDF files can be converted to JPEG files to maximize its storage space and for better transmission.
PDF to JPEG can be achieved via online converters. This can easily be done without any hassle or charge.
Top 5 Safe Online Casinos To Play At In 2018
The Top Tips for Finding Cheap Plane Tickets